10-12 Grade OWL Classes Starting January 11, 2017
We will be proudly offering OWL (Our Whole Lives) to 10-12th graders in the spring semester. The classes will meet on Wednesday evenings at 6:30 p.m. beginning January 11 and continuing through May, including a lock-in February 3-4. OWL registration forms are available at the LFD table in the gallery on Sundays. In order for youth to participate in the class, there is a mandatory parent orientation on Jan. 4 at 7 p.m. or Jan. 8 at 12:30 p.m. The registration fee for the OWL class is $40 and scholarships are available. You can get more information on registration and classes by emailing .
Honest, accurate information about sexuality changes lives. It dismantles stereotypes and assumptions, builds self-acceptance and self-esteem, fosters healthy relationships, improves decision making, and has the potential to save lives. For these reasons and more, we are proud to offer Our Whole Lives, a comprehensive, lifespan sexuality education curricula for use in both secular settings and faith communities.
Interactive workshops and lessons engage participants, while step-by-step instructions for program planners and facilitators help ensure success. Of the available six OWL curricula to speak to participants’ needs, First UU provides the following to our community:
- Grades Kindergarten – 1
- Grades 4-6
- Grades 7-9
- Grades 10-12
OWL classes can be expanded to teach other grade levels, with your volunteer support. (Please fill out this form to express your interest or to get more info.)
Our Whole Lives helps participants make informed and responsible decisions about their sexual health and behavior. With a holistic approach, Our Whole Lives provides accurate, developmentally appropriate information about a range of topics, including relationships, gender identity, sexual orientation, sexual health, and cultural influences on sexuality.
Our Whole Lives Offers…
- Accurate information presented in developmentally appropriate ways
- Affective and emotional learning
- Guiding values and principles
- Activities that help participants clarify values and improve decision-making skills
- A safe and supportive peer group
- Acceptance of diversity
- A social justice approach to inclusive sexuality education
- Step-by-step instructions for program promotion, implementation, and facilitation
- Parent orientation that affirms parents as their children’s primary sexuality educators
- Facilitator trainings and continuing education to increase knowledge, skills, confidence
- Expert user support from OWL Program Associate (UUA) and OWL Program Coordinator (UCC)
- Sexuality and Our Faith, an optional religious supplement for use in Unitarian Universalist and United Church of Christ settings.
Our Whole Lives Values…
While Our Whole Lives is secular, it is not value-free. The program gives clear messages about the following key sexuality issues:
- self worth
- sexual health
- justice and inclusivity
Our Whole Lives recognizes and respects the diversity of participants with respect to biological sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, and disability status. The activities and language used throughout the program have been carefully chosen to be as inclusive as possible of this human diversity.
- Literature used for grades 7-9
- Literature used for grades 10-12
- Handout outlining OWL’s holistic approach
- Find more on the OWL section of the UUA website.