Children and youth Faith Development is based on a Cooperative model of involvement. What do we mean by a cooperative teaching model?
Cooperatives in all forms thrive in Austin from grocery stores to nursery schools. The vision of First UU’s FD cooperative is a supportive community that thrives on commitment, love, and investment to nourish the faith journey of young and old. By dint of our deliberate intention, we become a community in both word and deed.
Where you come in: Parents and Guardians of enrolled children and youth acknowledge that by participating in First UU Austin’s Faith Development programming, you enter into an agreement to help nourish the community and faith development of our children and youth. Required as part of your family’s enrollment is 8 hours of FD cooperative involvement each calendar year.
There are many avenues of service within the department:
- Classroom Teacher: The lead teacher works with the Lifespan Faith Development Department on the lesson plan for their class each week and leads the lesson for their classroom every Sunday. Curricula, training, and tons of support are provided! This is an August – May commitment.
- Classroom Helper: We need 2 adults in each classroom on Sunday to help ensure the safety of all children. You will work with our lead teachers and help in your child’s classroom or assist in one of our other amazing Sunday School classes!
- Middle School/High School Adviser: Help lead weekly Sunday meetings and plan social activities for our middle school or high school youth group. Advisers will tell you that they have the most fun of all getting to know our brilliant and talented teens! All advisers attend an annual orientation.
- Substitute Teacher: Be ready to step in and cover for absent lead teachers, classroom helpers, or advisers. Training is provided by the Lifespan Faith Development Department before you begin.
- Lead Summer Teacher: The lead teacher works with the Lifespan Faith Development Department on the lesson plan for their class each week and leads the lesson for their classroom every Sunday during the summer session. Curricula, training, and tons of support are provided! This is an June – August commitment.
Research Team: Help investigate best practices, etc. implemented in other UU churches. The research team works with the Lifespan Faith Development Department and discusses current research projects/needs via a Facebook group, then assists in the research process.
Congregational Events Team: Spearhead a Lifespan Faith Developmmment event like a Tree Trimming Party, Surprise Pals, Valentines Making Party, Passover Seder, or Splash Day.
Office Team: Are you a whiz at organizational tasks and available during the week? This may be for you!
Our Whole Lives Facilitator: Teach one or more levels of our church’s comprehensive sexuality education program. You must complete Our Whole Lives facilitator training before you can join the Our Whole Lives Facilitator team.
Summer Camp Committee: Our summer camp runs for one week, Monday – Friday, usually the last week in July. This committee does the planning and prep needed to make this magical camp happen!